Monday 9 September 2013

Eczema Flare

A lovely, warm sunny Spring day here in Adelaide, and to my delight, I had two healthy children to send to school today.  I was reveling in my garden, two garden beds ready for soil preparation and piles of weeds removed, seeds planted ready to turn into seedlings, everything on track.  After hard morning working in the garden, washing and dishes done, I lay down for a quick nap.  I suffer from fatigue, so this happens sometimes when I have done a lot of physical activity.  Just doze off, phone rings 'Miss A's eczema has is bad, can you please pick her up'.  I arrive at the school to see a spotty, swollen face looking at me.  Oh well, so much for two kids at school.

The annoying thing about her eczema is that we have no idea of the cause.  We have tried elimination diets and scratch and blood testing for external allergens, but have come up negative for everything.  Unfortunately, her eczema can be so severe that it stops her doing things, which is really sad.  Imagine a child who is scared of rolling down a grassy hill or making a sandcastle?  Life can be so cruel.

So for now, I have her in a nice bath, I will cover her in creams and give her a dose of antihistamine and hope she can cope at her guitar and singing lessons tonight.  Maybe a nice frozen yoghurt treat for the car (homemade coconut frozen yoghurt is her favourite).  After a good night's sleep, maybe she can face school again tomorrow.  I will include the frozen yoghurt recipe below, but really I just wanted to whinge.  Feel free to post your suggestions on eczema below.

COCONUT FROZEN YOGHURT

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups Greek yoghurt
1 1/2 cups coconut cream
3/4 cup sugar
few drops coconut extract
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes (toasted)

METHOD
Mix all the ingredients except the coconut flakes together until the sugar has dissolved.  Put in icecream machine and churn.  Serve sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes.

Great with fresh fruit, or just eaten out of the tub!

No comments:

Post a Comment